- Skip to content
- Skip to local navigation
- Skip to bbc.co.uk navigation
- Skip to bbc.co.uk search
- Accessibility Help
BBC Sport footballIN ASSOCIATION WITH Sport Homepage Football Premier League Live Scores Results Fixtures Table Top Scorers Predictor A-Z of Sports
Related BBC sitesPage last updated at 16:56 GMT, Saturday, 23 January 2010 E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Man Utd 4 - 0 HullBy Ian Hughes
Rooney was in imperious form as he inspired United to victory
Wayne Rooney scored all four goals to send Manchester United top of the Premier League after victory over Hull.
Rooney opened the scoring when he slotted in a rebound after Paul Scholes' shot was beaten away.
After Nani's free-kick was pushed on to the woodwork by keeper Boaz Myhill, United worked the ball to Rooney who smashed in a drive to make it 2-0.
Rooney headed in Nani's cross to complete his hat-trick and fired in a low shot to cap his superb performance.
It is a result that means United leapfrog title rivals Arsenal and Chelsea, who do not play in the league this weekend because of their involvement in the FA Cup.
But while all seems to be coming together on the pitch for United - Rio Ferdinand was impressive on his return after three months out injured - there was disquiet off it.
Four-goal haul delights Rooney
Home fans voiced their anger at United's owners, frequently chanting "Glazers out" in protest at the scale of the club's debt and their perception the Americans are preventing new signings.
Whether that is the case, there does appear to be a need for United to boost their firepower to ease the burden on Rooney.
Michael Owen's finishing was well below the required standard, the former England man doing nothing to dismiss critics who suggest his best days are long gone.
And while Rooney looked sharp, he looked equally frustrated at times - once even aiming a verbal volley at Darren Fletcher for a poor throw-in.
But United will be delighted with Rooney's form and with the return of Ferdinand, who belied his three-month absence with an assured display - although Hull rarely tested the home defence.606: DEBATE Nani was brilliant today on the right and that will give him a lot of confidence, Rooney was world class
Other than a Nick Barmby effort that Edwin van der Sar turned wide, there was little threat from the visitors.
Yet United took a long time to build on their great start that saw Rooney open the scoring early on when he pounced on a rebound.
Ferdinand twice flicked efforts wide, Owen had a low shot well saved by Myhill and Rooney's volley took a deflection to zip narrowly over the bar.
United's best chance to add to their advantage fell to Owen, who was heavily involved in the superb build-up but shot weakly at Myhill from eight yards.
As the pattern of the match remained unchanged, Rooney sent a low shot fizzing wide and Owen glanced a header off target.
Owen made way for Dimitar Berbatov as United looked to find a more clinical edge up front.
Rooney made the difference - Brown
Instead it was Hull substitute Kamel Ghilas who almost made the biggest impact when he tuned and shot narrowly wide.
But from then on Rooney took the game by the scruff of the neck.
He was clinical in dispatching a drive after Hull failed to clear following Nani's free-kick, and that gave United breathing space.
Rooney was equally ruthless when he converted Nani's cross with a well-placed header.
It was end product that the striker had deserved - and eased his annoyance that had been in evidence until that point.
In the closing stages, Rooney gave himself and United even more reason to smile when he struck a low shot into the corner to add gloss to the victory.
Yet some of the home fans will leave Old Trafford bearing twisted smiles as they wonder about the long-term future of their club.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 23 January 2010
Premier LeagueHome TeamScoreAway TeamTimeMan Utd 4-0 Hull FT (HT 1-0)
- Rooney 8
- Rooney 82
- Rooney 86
- Rooney 90+3
- 01 Van der Sar
- 03 Evra (Fabio Da Silva 87)
- 05 Ferdinand
- 21 Rafael Da Silva
- 23 Evans
- 13 Park
- 17 Nani
- 18 Scholes (Gibson 72)
- 24 Fletcher
- 07 Owen (Berbatov 72)
- 10 Rooney yellow card
- 01 Myhill
- 03 Dawson
- 05 Gardner
- 06 McShane
- 24 Zayatte
- 08 Barmby (Mendy 57)
- 10 Geovanni (Kilbane 74)
- 11 Hunt
- 20 Boateng
- 07 Fagan yellow card
- 14 Garcia (Ghilas 70)
- Man Utd 60%
- Hull 40%
Attempts on target
- Man Utd 15
- Hull 4
Attempts off target
- Man Utd 10
- Hull 4
- Man Utd 12
- Hull 8
- Man Utd 6
- Hull 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:24 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+4:26 Bernard Mendy crosses the ball, Kevin Kilbane takes a shot. Save made by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 90:00+2:47 Assist by Dimitar Berbatov.
- 90:00+2:47 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Man Utd 4 - 0 Hull Wayne Rooney fires in a goal from inside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Man Utd 4-0 Hull.
- 90:00+1:53 The referee blows for offside against Dimitar Berbatov. Boaz Myhill takes the indirect free kick.
- 90:00+0:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Fabio Da Silva on Bernard Mendy. Bernard Mendy takes the direct free kick.
- 89:13 The ball is crossed by Bernard Mendy, Rafael Da Silva manages to make a clearance. Short corner taken by Kamel Ghilas from the left by-line, George Boateng has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 87:39 Wayne Rooney is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Boaz Myhill.
- 86:40 Substitution Fabio Da Silva replaces Patrice Evra.
- 86:40 The assistant referee signals for offside against Kamel Ghilas. Free kick taken by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 85:07 The ball is swung over by Luis Nani,
- 85:05 Assist on the goal came from Luis Nani.
- 85:05 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Man Utd 3 - 0 Hull Wayne Rooney grabs a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Man Utd 3-0 Hull.
- 81:57 Assist on the goal came from Darron Gibson.
- 81:57 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Man Utd 2 - 0 Hull Wayne Rooney grabs a goal from just inside the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Man Utd 2-0 Hull.
- 80:57 Kevin Kilbane gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dimitar Berbatov. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Luis Nani, Boaz Myhill makes a save.
- 80:14 Stephen Hunt delivers the ball, Edwin Van der Sar makes a comfortable save.
- 78:20 Booking Craig Fagan is cautioned.
- 77:57 Unfair challenge on Dimitar Berbatov by Stephen Hunt results in a free kick. Rafael Da Silva takes the direct free kick.
- 76:15 Right-footed shot by Darron Gibson went harmlessly over the bar.
- 75:30 Kamel Ghilas delivers the ball in from the corner.
- 74:42 Paul McShane crosses the ball, Shot by Kamel Ghilas from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 73:03 Substitution (Hull) makes a substitution, with Kevin Kilbane coming on for Deiberson Geovanni.
- 73:03 Effort on goal by Bernard Mendy from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 71:23 Substitution (Man Utd) makes a substitution, with Dimitar Berbatov coming on for Michael Owen.
- 71:23 Substitution (Man Utd) makes a substitution, with Darron Gibson coming on for Paul Scholes.
- 71:23 Darren Fletcher delivers the ball, Header from deep inside the area by Paul Scholes goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 68:30 Substitution Kamel Ghilas is brought on as a substitute for Richard Garcia.
- 68:30 George Boateng challenges Luis Nani unfairly and gives away a free kick. The ball is crossed by Luis Nani, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Michael Owen misses to the left of the goal.
- 67:35 The ball is swung over by Rafael Da Silva.
- Correction - 66:29 A cross is delivered by Luis Nani, Ji-Sung Park has an effort at goal from 12 yards. Kamil Zayatte gets a block in.
- 66:29 The ball is swung over by Luis Nani, Ji-Sung Park takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- 65:24 Rafael Da Silva produces a cross, Andy Dawson manages to make a clearance.
- 63:44 Wayne Rooney has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses left.
- 62:16 Corner from the right by-line taken by Stephen Hunt, Headed effort from close range by Anthony Gardner goes wide left of the target.
- 61:30 Craig Fagan produces a cross, comfortable save by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 58:59 Luis Nani crosses the ball.
- 56:40 Substitution Bernard Mendy is brought on as a substitute for Nick Barmby.
- 56:40 Luis Nani produces a cross, save made by Boaz Myhill.
- 55:59 Rafael Da Silva delivers the ball, save by Boaz Myhill.
- 55:26 Corner from left by-line taken by Wayne Rooney.
- 54:43 Paul McShane gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luis Nani. Luis Nani delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, clearance by Anthony Gardner.
- 53:02 Paul McShane gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wayne Rooney. Direct free kick taken by Wayne Rooney.
- 52:46 The ball is swung over by Luis Nani, Boaz Myhill makes a comfortable save.
- 51:25 Inswinging corner taken by Luis Nani from the left by-line, clearance by Anthony Gardner. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Luis Nani, Paul McShane makes a clearance.
- 50:31 Stephen Hunt takes a inswinging corner to the near post, save made by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 47:20 Wayne Rooney gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on George Boateng. Boaz Myhill restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:09 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:13 Michael Owen takes a shot. Comfortable save by Boaz Myhill.
- 44:43 The official flags Wayne Rooney offside. Kamil Zayatte restarts play with the free kick.
- 44:11 Michael Owen takes a shot. Save made by Boaz Myhill.
- Correction - 41:08 Andy Dawson takes the free kick. Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Rio Ferdinand by Craig Fagan. Edwin Van der Sar restarts play with the free kick.
- 41:08 Direct free kick taken by Andy Dawson. Free kick awarded for a foul by Craig Fagan on Rio Ferdinand. Edwin Van der Sar takes the direct free kick.
- 41:08 Booking Wayne Rooney receives a yellow card.
- Correction - 40:58 Foul by Wayne Rooney on Stephen Hunt, free kick awarded.
- 40:58 Wayne Rooney gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Stephen Hunt.
- 40:22 Patrice Evra concedes a free kick for a foul on Richard Garcia. Nick Barmby restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:16 Effort from inside the area by Wayne Rooney misses to the right of the goal.
- 38:21 The referee blows for offside. Edwin Van der Sar takes the free kick.
- 35:51 Outswinging corner taken by Stephen Hunt from the left by-line played to the near post.
- 32:44 Unfair challenge on Stephen Hunt by Rafael Da Silva results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Andy Dawson.
- 30:57 George Boateng gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ji-Sung Park. Shot comes in from Wayne Rooney from the free kick.
- 29:57 The ball is swung over by Luis Nani, Anthony Gardner manages to make a clearance. Luis Nani takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, George Boateng makes a clearance.
- 28:50 Michael Owen takes a shot. Save by Boaz Myhill.
- 28:28 Ji-Sung Park takes a shot. Anthony Gardner gets a block in.
- 27:00 Corner from left by-line taken by Luis Nani. Darren Fletcher takes a shot. Kamil Zayatte gets a block in. Short corner taken by Luis Nani.
- 25:53 The ball is crossed by Stephen Hunt, save by Edwin Van der Sar.
- Correction - 22:39 Corner taken by Luis Nani, Chance falls to Rio Ferdinand who heads at goal, save by Boaz Myhill.
- 22:39 Outswinging corner taken by Luis Nani, Jonathan Evans gets a header at goal, save by Boaz Myhill.
- 21:25 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Paul McShane gets a block in. Luis Nani takes a short corner.
- 19:30 The ball is sent over by Rafael Da Silva, blocked by Andy Dawson. Corner taken right-footed by Luis Nani, clearance by George Boateng.
- 18:47 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 17:25 Nick Barmby takes a shot. Save by Edwin Van der Sar. Stephen Hunt takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Rio Ferdinand. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Deiberson Geovanni from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Luis Nani.
- 14:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Scholes on Craig Fagan. Shot on goal comes in from Deiberson Geovanni from the free kick.
- 13:47 Corner taken by Luis Nani from the left by-line to the near post, Effort from inside the six-yard box by Rio Ferdinand goes wide left of the target.
- 12:44 Ji-Sung Park has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide left of the goal.
- 11:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Michael Owen by George Boateng. Darren Fletcher restarts play with the free kick. Shot by Luis Nani from a long way out goes over the net.
- 8:58 Foul by Deiberson Geovanni on Darren Fletcher, free kick awarded. Jonathan Evans takes the direct free kick.
- 8:23 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Anthony Gardner gets a block in.
- 7:13 Assist on the goal came from Paul Scholes.
- 7:13 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Man Utd 1 - 0 Hull Wayne Rooney fires in a goal from inside the box low into the middle of the goal. Man Utd 1-0 Hull.
- 7:11 Shot from 30 yards from Paul Scholes. Save by Boaz Myhill.
- 6:32 A cross is delivered by Luis Nani, clearance by Anthony Gardner. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Luis Nani, Paul McShane manages to make a clearance.
- 5:21 Foul by Craig Fagan on Jonathan Evans, free kick awarded. Rio Ferdinand takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 3:21 Richard Garcia takes a shot. Blocked by Craig Fagan.
- 3:21 Richard Garcia takes a shot. Craig Fagan gets a block in.
- 1:24 Michael Owen takes a shot. Blocked by Anthony Gardner. Corner from right by-line taken by Luis Nani.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Barclays Premier League
Venue: Old Trafford Date: Saturday, 23 January 2010 Kick-off: 1500 GMT
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 Live, local radio & Final Score
Bookmark with:E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Premier League results
23 Jan 2010 23:59 UK
Premier League table snapshot
As it stood on 23 Jan 2010 23:59 UKPositionTeamPGDPTS1 Man Utd 23 34 50 2 Arsenal 22 34 48 3 Chelsea 21 34 48 4 Tottenham 22 18 38 5 Man City 21 12 38 6 Liverpool 22 14 37 7 Aston Villa 21 11 36 8 Birmingham 21 2 33 9 Fulham 21 2 27 10 Everton 21 -4 26 11 Stoke 21 -7 25 12 Blackburn 22 -16 24 13 Sunderland 21 -8 23 14 Wigan 20 -21 22 15 Burnley 21 -21 20 16 West Ham 21 -9 19 17 Wolves 21 -21 19 18 Hull 22 -26 19 19 Bolton 20 -14 18 20 Portsmouth 20 -14 14
see also Rooney targets record goal haul
23 Jan 10 | Man Utd
Skip to top
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
A-Z of Sports
- American Football
- Disability sport
- Formula 1
- Gaelic Games
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey
- Modern Pentathlon
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union
- Table Tennis
- Winter Sports
BBC iDSign in
Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.