Here are entered works on films that are intended to impart knowledge and information, including those for classroom viewing. Works about films designed to impart skills or techniques to general audiences, typically in a "how-to" manner, are entered under [Instructional films.] Works about the use of motion pictures in education are entered under [Motion pictures in education.]
- Educational videos
- Informational films
Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
Earlier Established Forms
- Educational videos
- found: Work cat.: Schillaci, A. Films deliver, 1970:p. 167 (educational films)
- found: Moving image genre-form guide, via WWW, Mar. 14, 2001(Educational. Largely nontheatrical work intended for teaching and related informational purposes. Educational work includes classroom films and videos, historical recreations and dramatizations primarily intended to educate rather than entertain, and video or television broadcasting courses; they may be sponsored as well. Historically prolific producers of educational films include Eastman Kodak, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Coronet, and PBS. Note: Not necessary to also use Documentary, since that is implied by the term Educational. Related terms: Industrial, Instructional, Social guidance, and Training)
- found: Yee, M.M. Moving image materials, 1988(Educational/cultural works. Use for works which are intended primarily to inform or edify rather than to entertain, and which do not utilize an instructional format. UF Educational works)
- found: Konigsberg, I. The complete film dictionary, 1997(educational film: any film made with the primary object of teaching some subject matter or skills, especially a film made for classroom viewing; informational film: any nonfictional film that is intended to supply an audience with information about a certain subject primarily for the purpose of instruction and education. Such films are concerned with presenting factual information in a direct and immediate way, unlike many documentaries, which also seek to persuade an audience, both intellectually and emotionally, toward a particular point of view)
- found: Singleton, R.S. Filmmaker's dictionary, c2000(educational video)
- found: LC database, Mar. 18, 2001(Catalog of educational motion pictures; Guide to classroom use of film/video; Educational film/video locator; Films for classroom teaching; Educational films and tapes)
- Here are entered works on films that are intended to impart knowledge and information, including those for classroom viewing. Works about films designed to impart skills or techniques to general audiences, typically in a "how-to" manner, are entered under [Instructional films.] Works about the use of motion pictures in education are entered under [Motion pictures in education.]
- Note under [Motion pictures in education; Instructional films]
- 2001-03-18: new
- 2015-12-02: revised
- Subject Of Works
- Looking for realted works...
- Contributor To Works
- Looking for realted works... Suggest Alternative Terminology
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.