Addthis Share Tools
The Smithsonian's collections represent our nation's rich heritage, art from across the globe, and the immense diversity of the natural and cultural world.
The scope of objects in Smithsonian collections is staggering—from ancient Chinese bronzes to the Star-Spangled Banner; from a 3.5 billion-year-old fossil to the Apollo lunar landing module; from the ruby slippers featured in The Wizard of Oz to presidential memorabilia. Scholars and scientific researchers at the Smithsonian—and around the world—use these vast collections in their research to expand human knowledge. Learn more about the range of our collections on our National Collections Dashboard.Select a topic to discover featured collections and stories, OR search millions of digital records.
Smithsonian Open Access
Download, share, and reuse nearly 3 million 2D and 3D images from the Smithsonian's collections—right now, without asking.
Digitizing the Collections
From bees and botany to art and historic objects, the Smithsonian's Digitization Program Office works urgently to bring our collections to the public online.
Smithsonian 3D Collection
The Smithsonian 3D Voyager allows visitors to explore, use, and study 3D digital models of some of our most iconic items.
Collections Care and Conservation
Individual museums have conservation departments dedicated to the care of objects in their collections. The Museum Conservation Institute is the Smithsonian’s center for specialized technical collections research and conservation.
- 1903 Wright Flyer
- Black Gold I
- Command Module, Apollo 11
- Abraham Lincoln's Top Hat
- Hope Diamond
- Archie Bunker's Chair from All in the Family
- Christopher Columbus
- Teapot made by Peter Bentzon
- Kermit the Frog Puppet
- Thomas Jefferson, The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, Extracted textually from the Gospels in Greek, Latin, French, & English
- Lewis and Clark Expedition Pocket Compass
- Dorothy's Ruby Slippers
- Declaration of Independence Desk
- Greensboro Lunch Counter
- 24c Curtiss Jenny invert single
- Conestoga Wagon
- John Deere Plow
- Ulysses S. Grant's chair from Appomattox
- Edison "New Year's Eve" Lamp
- Apple Macintosh Mouse
- 1926 New York Yankees Autographed Baseball
- Milwaukee Brewers Jersey, worn by Hank Aaron
- Queen's Ball Attire - Crown
- Old Glory flag
- Van Halen Frankenstein Electric Guitar
- Mr. Peanut® Statue
- Dun Dun Talking Drum Musical Instrument w/stick
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Snoopy Doghouse Lunch Box
- Cape Cod Morning
- The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
- St. Mark and St. Luke; Right cover of The Washington Manuscript of the Gospels
- Statue of Liberty souvenir, New York, New York, 1885
- 1 Decadrachm, Syracuse, about 400 B.C.E.