This website does readability filtering of other pages. All styles, scripts, forms and ads are stripped. If you want your website excluded or have other feedback, use this form.

GCHQ Holiday Puzzle - Schneier on Security

Schneier on Security

Blog >

Comments

Archon • December 18, 2015 1:20 PM

(Pokes at it.) Weird, it's got some boxy things... cartoony spectacles? They wouldn't outright state they're watching me in their Christmas greeting, would they?

(Keeps going.) Oh, God, it's a QR code, I'm almost sure of it. So I load that into my phone and visit a page that they can track? Gee, thanks for not even keeping out of my business on bloody Christmas.

Elizabeth • December 18, 2015 2:23 PM

It's a Nonogram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonogram), also known as Picross for those who play Nintendo games.

Archon • December 18, 2015 4:29 PM

Funny, I tried to post and it failed. They're on to me!:)

Anyway, it's a standard - if rather annoying because it's basically white noise - puzzle in the shape of a QR code to www.gchq.gov.uk/puzz which contains a six-question test, which subsequently unlocks ANOTHER part. Yeah, I'm done. I didn't sign up for a pop quiz.

For the curious, part 2 question 1 is:

Q1. Which of these is not the odd one out?

STARLET
SONNET
SAFFRON
SHALLOT
TORRENT
SUGGEST

JustAGuy • December 18, 2015 11:43 PM

TORRENT is odd, because all the others start with S.
SAFFRON is odd, because all the others end with T.
STARLET is odd, because all the others have a double consonant.
SONNET is odd, because all the others have 7 characters.
SUGGEST is odd, because all the others are nouns?

Amusing.

Freedumb • December 19, 2015 10:03 AM

Wow the telegraph article is it a joke?

"Pass the snooper's charter now, or London will be next"

"If we truly believe in standing in solidarity with Paris, we must let it pass. We must demand it passes." I think I'm going to be sick.

Fear and emotional blackmail where is the rational argument???

Mary • December 20, 2015 1:32 PM

@Dan Hagon

Since agencies like the NSA and GCHQ don't "play fair" in any way, shape, or form, in regards to legalities and morality, I would expect the later parts of their puzzle to require such cheats and hacks...

← 25th Anniversary of the Landmark Unix Security Book Friday Squid Blogging: Penguins Fight over Squid →

Schneier on Security is a personal website. Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of IBM Resilient.