My NCBISign in to NCBISign Out US National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health 10.1073/pnas.78.9.5275 PMCID: PMC348724 PMID: 16593078
Molecular engineering: An approach to the development of general capabilities for molecular manipulationK. Eric Drexler Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer 1Space Systems Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139 Copyright notice This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Development of the ability to design protein molecules will open a path to the fabrication of devices to complex atomic specifications, thus sidestepping obstacles facing conventional microtechnology. This path will involve construction of molecular machinery able to position reactive groups to atomic precision. It could lead to great advances in computational devices and in the ability to manipulate biological materials. The existence of this path has implications for the present.
Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version. Get a printable copy (PDF file) of the complete article (1010K), or click on a page image below to browse page by page. Links to PubMed are also available for Selected References.5275 5276 5277 5278
These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
- Itakura K, Riggs AD. Chemical DNA synthesis and recombinant DNA studies. Science. 1980 Sep 19;209(4463):1401–1405. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- McCammon JA, Gelin BR, Karplus M. Dynamics of folded proteins. Nature. 1977 Jun 16;267(5612):585–590. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Karplus M, Weaver DL. Protein-folding dynamics. Nature. 1976 Apr 1;260(5550):404–406. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Gund P, Andose JD, Rhodes JB, Smith GM. Three-dimensional molecular modeling and drug design. Science. 1980 Jun 27;208(4451):1425–1431. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Gutte B, Däumigen M, Wittschieber E. Design, synthesis and characterisation of a 34-residue polypeptide that interacts with nucleic acids. Nature. 1979 Oct 25;281(5733):650–655. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Drake JW, Allen EF, Forsberg SA, Preparata RM, Greening EO. Genetic control of mutation rates in bacteriophageT4. Nature. 1969 Mar 22;221(5186):1128–1132. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Supplementary Materials
- Open in a separate window Open in a separate window Open in a separate window Open in a separate window
Articles from Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America are provided here courtesy of National Academy of Sciences