- Record Label: Elektra
- Release Date: Jun 10, 2003
Mixed or average reviews- based on 374 RatingsYour Score 0 out of 10 Rate this:
Mixed or average reviews- based on 374 RatingsWould you like to write a review?
- Summary: As the title implies, the metal band is just as, well, angry as ever on their first new studio album since 'Load' and 'Reload' appeared in 1996 and 1997. Just don't try downloading it for free--then you'll see some real anger.
- Record Label: Elektra
- Genre(s): Rock, Metal
- More Details and Credits »
Top TrackSt. Anger St. Anger 'round my neck St. Anger 'round my neck He never gets respect St. Anger 'round my neck (You flush it out, you flush it out) St. Anger... See the rest of the song lyrics See Full Track List » Powered by
- Spin 91 This is the album Metallica lifers have been waiting for: an inspired return to the complex savagery of old. [Jul 2003, p.109] All this publication's reviews
- Entertainment Weekly 83 ''St. Anger'' is arguably the season's finest metal offering -- and the band's best since 1991's ''Metallica.''
- Mojo 80 This is miffed and exemplary metal. [Jul 2003, p.108] All this publication's reviews
- Q Magazine 70 They've never sounded this heavy or this pissed off. [Jul 2003, p.106] All this publication's reviews
- PopMatters 70 A ragged, cacophonous, raging beast of an album, it's not the most perfect album Metallica has ever produced, and it's a very bumpy ride for listeners, but the album's handful of high points are thrilling to hear.
- Playlouder 60 While theres no denying that Metallica have produced a huge and welcome blast from the past, it also represents a monolithic slab of noise that stretched over 11 songs and 75 minutes is just too dense and daunting to be truly enjoyable.
- Pitchfork 8 What an utter mess.
- SeanM Aug 11, 2003 10 What a fucking album! Not only is it quite up to par with most of thier other albums, but its so addicting to listen [email protected] With all the speed What a fucking album! Not only is it quite up to par with most of thier other albums, but its so addicting to listen [email protected] With all the speed metal from the 80's, conbined with the bone chilling riffs of the black album to the serene sound of "sweet amber". Metallica definatly unleashed one hell of a beast on this one. I just got back from thier concert yesterday, and they played it so loud and hard that i could barely keep up with the lyrics of "frantic". Awesome job Metallica!… Expand
- Pupu-The-Alien?? Aug 4, 2003 10 if u dont like this cd u r gay this was the best cd and only cd ive ever actually listened to the rest were too boring
- cmilne Jun 18, 2003 9 In the name of all that is sweet and merciful, IT"S ABOUT TIME!! To say that the heavy metal formula ( riff, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, In the name of all that is sweet and merciful, IT"S ABOUT TIME!! To say that the heavy metal formula ( riff, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, verse, chorusx2) has been abandoned is to understate the obvious. It feels like they've decided that less is more. Play from the gut and commercial implications be damned. The Metallica fans who are familiar with Kill Em' All, both Garage Days and Ride the Lightning will appreciate the rawness that has been captured. This is Metallica sans apology and it is long overdue. The subject matter is at times extremely introspective, and the ferocity with which they play behind it really brings the angst to the forefront. If you like raw, loud, and agressive, this is your album. If you are a long time Metallica fan that remembers them before they made videos this is Nirvana. I gave it 9 out of 10 because I feel a 10 is only worthy if I feel the same 10 years down the road.… Expand
- arkansascracker Jun 24, 2003 7 This is a good solid CD. Poorly produced with some flaws, but a nice return to something more akin to thrash than their last few CDs. I like This is a good solid CD. Poorly produced with some flaws, but a nice return to something more akin to thrash than their last few CDs. I like it alright.… Expand
- Kenshiro Dec 9, 2003 5 Being the big Metallica fan that I am, I was one of the first to buy this album. If you go in expecting the old Metallica sound, you will be Being the big Metallica fan that I am, I was one of the first to buy this album. If you go in expecting the old Metallica sound, you will be very disappointed. If you are a newer fan, you will probably enjoy this. I went in there expecting the old sound. And no, I'm not going to start talking about that whole suing business. I'm supposed to be talking about the music. That's what counts. I will admit that the boys have a renewed sense of energy that is refreshing to see after Load and Reload. However, all this energy is not being channeled properly, and comes out sounding like a mess. All this aggression, but nowhere to place it - - and so it is all over the place, with no aim or direction. At least Load (which I liked better) had more sense of melody than this. Despite a few good tracks (Frantic, St. Anger, All Within My Hands), this album goes nowhere with its new sound. A somewhat decent album, if it wasn't Metallica. It sounds more like Metallica doing Nu-Metal, which they shouldn't be trying at all. To see the boys at their finest, go and buy all their albums up to the Black Album, or see them live. This CD certainly does not do their reputation any justice.… Expand
- Eli Jul 15, 2006 2 I was shocked when I came to this page to see this album has a positive rating. This album has the effect/feeling of being raped in the ears I was shocked when I came to this page to see this album has a positive rating. This album has the effect/feeling of being raped in the ears repeatedly if there is such a feeling possible. Don't worry about people illegally downloading tunes from this one metallica. There might be some decent parts in a few songs but about 95$ of the album is quite honestly laugh out loud awful. Dreadful lyrics and painful vocals combined with mostly terrible instrumental sound makes for the worst Metallica album ever! To put it simply Metallica tried to create a straight up head banging album and failed miserably. Metallica had another album coming soon and I hope and pray they have learned from the shitstain of an album called Saint Anger.… Expand
- RobertO Jun 16, 2003 0 This album is utter crap. Avoid at all costs.
Awards & Rankings4 #4 Most Discussed Album of 2003 9 #9 Most Shared Album of 2003
- New & Recent Releases A-Z by Artist
- New & Recent Releases by Date
- Upcoming Release Calendar
- 2019 High Scores
- All-Time High Scores
- A-Z Index of Artists
- By Metascore
- By user score