The InPhO Project
Welcome to the Internet Philosophy Ontology (InPhO) project!Search the Taxonomy Browse the Taxonomy
Philosophy Big Data
The InPhO analyzes over 37 million words of philosophical content from:
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- HathiTrust/Google Books Collection
We are committed to open access, with data available via a REST API, a monthly OWL archive of the ontology, visualizations and datafiles posted on our datablog, and source code at GitHub. All data uses the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.
The InPhOrmers create the InPhO. Find out more about the team:The InPhOrmers
The InPhO is constructed by a novel 3-step semi-automated process, called dynamic ontology:
- Data Mining — Natural language processing (NLP) techniques generate statistical hypothesis about the relationships among philosophically-salient topics.
- Expert Feedback — These hypotheses are evaluated by domain experts through online interfaces.
- Machine Reasoning — Our machine reasoning program uses feedback and statistical measures to populate the ontology.
Further details on dynamic ontology can be found on the Articles and Papers page.