NORA Manufacturing Sector CouncilRelated Pages Research Agenda Council Members Meetings Hazardous Energy Control
The NORA Manufacturing Council brings together individuals and organizations to share information, form partnerships, and promote adoption and dissemination of solutions that work. It was formed in 2006 for the second decade NORA. The Council seeks to facilitate the most important research, understand the most effective intervention strategies, and learn how to implement those strategies to achieve sustained improvements in workplace practice. Contact the Council Co-Chair or NORA Coordinator with any questions, comments, or to volunteer.Meetings and News
The final version of the National Occupational Research Agenda for Manufacturing is now available. Thank you to all who provided input. You can read it here.
Workgroups are beginning to plan activities to further the objectives identified in the Agenda. To participate please contact the Council Co-Chair.Sector Description
The Manufacturing sector includes establishments engaged in the mechanical, physical, or chemical transformation of materials, substances, or components into new products under NAICS codes 31-33External. The assembling of component parts of manufactured products is considered manufacturing, except in cases where the activity is appropriately classified in Sector 23External, Construction. Establishments in the Manufacturing sector are often described as plants, factories, or mills and characteristically use power-driven machines and materials-handling equipment. There are over 15 million workers in manufacturing, who are at risk for hearing loss, musculoskeletal disorders, traumatic injuries, and hazardous chemical exposures. More information can be found at the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Industries at a Glance: ManufacturingExternal website.
Information is available about the NIOSH Manufacturing Program which facilitates the work of the Council
- Social_round_facebook Facebook
- Social_round_flickr Flickr
- Social_round_pinterest Pinterest
- Social_round_twitter Twitter
- Social_round_youtube YouTube
Exit Notification/Disclaimer PolicyLinks with this icon indicate that you are leaving the CDC website.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cannot attest to the accuracy of a non-federal website.
- Linking to a non-federal website does not constitute an endorsement by CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the website.
- CDC is not responsible for Section 508 compliance (accessibility) on other federal or private website.