Facts and figures
Statistics and facts about our student population, research, campus and alumni.
We have 18,676 students enrolled. Over 30% come from outside the UK, representing over 130 nationalities.
- 13,547 undergraduates
- 5,129 postgraduates
- 53% male students
- 47% female students
- 0.1% students who do not identify as male or female
These numbers are based on statistics for the 2018/19 academic year from Academic Registry.
Find how we're ranked for student satisfaction and experience.
Placements and employment
- 89% of our employed UK full-time first-degree graduates are in the top three occupational groups, compared to 74% of employed graduates nationally1
- Our graduates2 have a mean salary of £27,000, which is £4,500 more than the equivalent for all higher education providers in the UK1
- We are one of the 13 universities most often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers in 2018 to 2019
- Up to 400 employers visit the University each year as part of events organised by our Careers Service
- Approximately 65% of our undergraduates who completed their course in the 2017/18 academic year chose a placement or study year abroad
1 data from HESA Destinations of Leavers from HE 2016/17
2 full-time UK domicile first-degree graduates who were in full-time paid work in the UK
- Our research grants and contracts portfolio is worth around £150 million
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), 87% of our research was defined as world-leading or internationally excellent
- We have been awarded two Queen's Anniversary Prizes for Higher and Further Education, most recently in 2011 for our 'Influential research into child poverty and support for vulnerable people'
- In the last decade, we have invested over £450 million in our campus - this includes new accommodation, academic buildings and sports facilities such as the Olympic Legacy swimming pool
- Our library is open 24 hours a day, every day
- The Edge, our £10.9 million arts and management building, opened in February 2016
- We invested £4.5 million in redeveloping the former Bath police station into The Virgil Building, which features a student learning zone and hosts some of our professional services
- University of Bath-based athletes won 6 medals in the Rio 2016 Olympics
- Our £30 million Sports Training Village has indoor and outdoor facilities to accommodate more than 50 sports
- We host around 250 international-level athletics competitions as well as national and regional squads across 10 sports
- We have over 120,000 alumni living and working in 173 countries around the world - find out about some of our notable alumni
- Our alumni and friends donated over £68 million to support our students and researchers
- Alumni gifts have created almost 1,400 scholarships at undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD level
- Our largest donation came from our alumnus Dr Jonathan Milner, who donated £5 million to fund the Milner Centre for Evolution
Tour of the campus