This website does readability filtering of other pages. All styles, scripts, forms and ads are stripped. If you want your website excluded or have other feedback, use this form.

The Daily Texan

success fail Aug SEP Jun 28 2006 2007 2009 5 captures 28 Sep 2007 - 03 Jun 2009 About this capture COLLECTED BY Organization: Internet Archive The Internet Archive discovers and captures web pages through many different web crawls. At any given time several distinct crawls are running, some for months, and some every day or longer. View the web archive through the Wayback Machine. Collection: Around The World Crawl Data crawled by Sloan Foundation on behalf of Internet Archive

TIMESTAMPS

Home | Forums | DTWeekend | Classifieds | Back Issues | Online Print Version | Mobile Alerts | Coupon Email Subscription | Search Home > Life & Arts
5/9/07 Chevelle to play in Austin, remains unique despite criticism
By Robert Rich
  • Page 1 of 1
Chevelle has always been branded as a Tool rip-off. More than likely, the only reason this label has been given to the band is because vocalist Pete Loeffler sounds a tiny bit like Maynard James Keenan, and the group's music has a similar dark feel to it. But, the similarities end there. Where Tool have always embraced their experimental side and released scathing social commentaries and criticisms, Loeffler and company have been happy to write radio-friendly tunes with subtly deep meanings, but with overtones easily grasped by any listener.

Their ability to do this and still remain original is what truly makes the band unique. Yes, they have songs on the radio, but it's not the same awful crap you hear from other rock bands every five minutes. Contradiction or not, Chevelle's music is a kind of controlled chaos, a beautiful darkness, a gentle rampage of aural velocity.

The band's first release, Point #1, was good, but it was easy to tell you were listening to a new band, one that had yet to find its stroke. It didn't take long for that to happen, and the group's sophomore album, Wonder What's Next, was a brilliant mix that launched Chevelle to superstardom. Two albums later, they're still going strong and learning to further refine their sound so that the contrast between the band's light and heavy moments in their songs are emphasized even more.

Whether you've heard their singles ("The Red" and "Vitamin R"), or you're just a fan of good old hard rock, Chevelle isn't one to miss. And unlike at a Tool concert, you'll actually get to see the vocalist, because he won't be hiding behind a speaker.

Chevelle plays Stubb's May 13.
Page 1 of 1

Article Tools

Share:
Subscribe:
    The Texan strives to present all information fairly, accurately and completely.
    If we have made an error, let us know about it here, or email [email protected].
    Voice your opinion!
    Let your voice be heard. Fill out your comments below.
    Be sure to include your name, major, and classification. Submissions without this information are subject to deletion.
    By clicking Post, you give The Daily Texan the right to publish your comments in any form, including online and in print in The Firing Line. Please limit your comments to 300 words. The Daily Texan reserves the right to edit all comments for brevity, clarity and liability.
    You may also send Firing Lines to the editor at [email protected]

Viewing Comments 1 - 2 of 2

Scootch

posted 5/09/07 @ 10:53 AM EST

chevelle was cool, then they started dressing like a bunch of emo pussies and whining all the fuggin' time. GET OVER YRSELVES and get back to making awesome music please

Details   Reply to this comment

scootchisgay

posted 6/11/07 @ 6:32 PM EST

so they grew their hair out long, big deal! vena sera is argueably the best album they've done. they changed their sound a bit but not enough to scare away many fans. (Continued…)

Details   Reply to this comment

Post a Comment

National College Advertising and Marketing
      Privacy Policy (8/15/07)     Terms of Use (8/15/07)    RSS Terms of Use

Most Popular Articles

1. Career expert outlines symptoms of 'imposter syndrome'
      2. The Firing Line 09/27
      3. Study: Students get viruses with downloads
      4. Increased wages in Austin not inflation
      5. Who is Steve Ditko?

ADVERTISEMENTS

Austin Real Estate
      Dresses Dresses
      New Home Austin Texas
      Dresses for Prom
      Moroccan Furniture
      Concert Tickets
      $49 Prom Dresses Bridesmaid
      Mortgage Refinancing

Prom Dresses
      T-Shirts
      Discount Shopping
      Real Estate
      Texas Longhorns Tickets
      Generate traffic! Advertise on dailytexanonline.com

Copyright (c) 2006 The Daily Texan and Texas Student Publications. All Rights Reserved.
      Advertising Rates | Around Campus | Back Issues | Contact Us
      Submit a Firing Line | Submit Around Campus | Buy Photos
      Advertising Supplements | Super Coupons
      Texas Student Publications
      Privacy Policy     Article Syndication     College Scholarships