Shortcuts: WS:RfC, WS:RFC, WS:R
Wikispecies:Requests for CommentFrom Wikispecies Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome to Requests for Comment. This space is for any conversations that might require the opinions of the community to decide policy or the application of policy. Start a new conversation. For general conversation, see Wikispecies:Village Pump.
If you use the title box, you don't need to put a title in the message body.
- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.
Translation Admins and the Admin Review Policy
I have recently done our roughly bi-annual admin review for activity. During the course of this it was clear that some of or Translation Admins had not been active enough to keep their administrative rights. However, I have elected not to consider the translation-admins at this time because I was concerned our policy may be a little harsh on this user-group. Translation-admins have the admin tool so they can translate protected pages and other similar pages that regular users cannot edit. As such the admin tool is a requirement for their tasks. They are trusted users who have to be elected to have this right. However, this is all they do with the tools and it is an ad-hoc as needed basis. Because of the nature of this wiki the pages subject to translation are largely the policy and help pages and other similar content. Where I am going with this is that its probably not surprising that they may be absent from this wiki for extended periods as there is little for them to do and they go to do their work on other wikis.
As such I believe that Translation-Admins should be exempted from the rigor of the Admin Review policy with regards to inactivity. Still of course subject to the admin abuse section. I think we need to discuss this and decide do we just make them exempt from the inactivity section, or do we modify the policy to have a section relevant to them on this issue. Initially I would appreciate comments. Cheers Scott Thomson (Faendalimas) talk 17:47, 20 October 2019 (UTC)
- Sounds sensible to me! Circeus (talk) 18:18, 20 October 2019 (UTC)
- Agree . Dan Koehl (talk) 11:44, 27 October 2019 (UTC)
- Agree .--Rosičák (talk) 21:00, 27 October 2019 (UTC)
- Agree. Applying a rigid time-limit followed by auto-demotion of the Translation Administrators is impractical and unnecessary, contrary to for example membership of the Interface administrator user group which is granted together with some very powerful tools that may be potentially dangerous. The Translation Admin tools are more or less exclusive to matters related to localization only, and can't really be used to inflict any extensive damage to the site or the community. –Tommy Kronkvist (talk), 18:44, 29 October 2019 (UTC).
As this did not raise any objections or much comment I will take this as done and agreed upon. Translation Admins are no longer subject to the Inactivity Section of Admin Reviews. Will leave this here a couple of days then archive it. Thanks everyone, Scott Thomson (Faendalimas) talk 07:35, 6 November 2019 (UTC)
- The above discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.
- Main page
- Community portal
- Recent changes
- Random page
- Requests for Comment
- Coverage at Meta-Wiki
In other projects
- Wikimedia Commons
- What links here
- Related changes
- Upload file
- Special pages
- Permanent link
- Page information
- Wikidata item
- Беларуская (тарашкевіца)
- Српски / srpski
- Tiếng Việt
- This page was last edited on 6 November 2019, at 07:35.