Category:English verbsDefinition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary Jump to navigation Jump to search Edit category data Recent changes Recent additions to the category
- sweat one's guts out
- sweat blood
- show one's true colours
- close the book on
- carry all before one
- make a stick for one's own back
- lay one's hands on
- rain cats and dogs
English terms that indicate actions, occurrences or states.
For more information, see Appendix:English verbs.
- Category:English verb forms: English verbs that are conjugated to display grammatical relations other than the main form.
- Category:English auxiliary verbs: English verbs that provide additional conjugations for other verbs.
- Category:English causative verbs: English verbs that express causing actions or states rather than performing or being them directly. Use this only for separate verbs: causative forms that are part of the inflection of verbs have their own category (see Category:Verb causative forms by language).
- Category:English control verbs: English verbs that take multiple arguments, one of which is another verb. One of the control verb's arguments is syntactically both an argument of the control verb and an argument of the other verb.
- Category:English copulative verbs: English verbs that may take adjectives as their complement.
- Category:English defective verbs: English verbs that lack one or more forms in their conjugations.
- Category:English ditransitive verbs: English verbs that indicate actions, occurrences or states of two grammatical objects simultaneously, one direct and one indirect.
- Category:English ergative verbs: English intransitive verbs that become causatives when used transitively.
- Category:English frequentative verbs: English verbs that express repeated action.
- Category:English impersonal verbs: English verbs that do not indicate actions, occurrences or states of any specific grammatical subject.
- Category:English verbs by inflection type: English verbs organized by the type of inflection they follow.
- Category:English intransitive verbs: English verbs that don't require any grammatical objects.
- Category:English passive verbs: English verbs that are usually used in passive voice.
- Category:English phrasal verbs: English verbs accompanied by particles, such as prepositions and adverbs.
- Category:English reciprocal verbs: English verbs that indicate actions, occurrences or states directed from multiple subjects to each other.
- Category:English reflexive verbs: English verbs that indicate actions, occurrences or states directed from the grammatical subjects to themselves.
- Category:English stative verbs: English verbs that define a state through means of a verb.
- Category:English transitive verbs: English verbs that indicate actions, occurrences or states directed to one or more grammatical objects.
This category has the following 23 subcategories, out of 23 total.
- ► English verb forms (7 c, 94629 e)
- ► English auxiliary verbs (2 c, 21 e)
- ► English catenative verbs (0 c, 5 e)
- ► English causative verbs (0 c, 8 e)
- ► English control verbs (0 c, 40 e)
- ► English copulative verbs (0 c, 28 e)
- ► English reporting verbs (0 c, 104 e)
- ► English verbs with placeholder it (0 c, 23 e)
- ► English ergative verbs (0 c, 355 e)
- ► English frequentative verbs (0 c, 4 e)
- ► English homographic denominal verbs (0 c, 1 e)
- ► English impersonal verbs (0 c, 25 e)
- ► English verbs by inflection type (2 c, 0 e)
- ► English intransitive verbs (1 c, 7131 e)
- ► English light verb constructions (0 c, 326 e)
- ► English stative verbs (0 c, 7 e)
- ► English transitive verbs (2 c, 15850 e)
Pages in category "English verbs"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 41,480 total.(previous page) (next page)
- ab off
- abandon ship
- abate of
- abide by
- abjure the realm
- abound in
- abound in one's own sense
- abound with
- about face
- about ship
- about turn
- absorb oneself in
- abstract away
- abut on
- accept service
- account for
- account of
- account to
- accredit with
- Main Page
- Community portal
- Requested entries
- Recent changes
- Random entry
- Contact us
- What links here
- Related changes
- Upload file
- Special pages
- Permanent link
- Page information
- Wikidata item
In other languages
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Bahasa Melayu
- Norsk nynorsk
- Srpskohrvatski / српскохрватски
- Tiếng Việt
- This page was last edited on 21 July 2017, at 20:16.