- 1 Understand
- 2 Get in
- 3 Get around
- 4 See
- 5 Do
- 6 Buy
- 7 Eat
- 8 Drink
- 9 Sleep
- 10 Go next
UnderstandSacred Heart Syro-Malabar Cathedral (also called Prem Mandir)
Rajkot is most famous as the place where Mahatma Gandhi pursued his early education. The city is also famous for traditional sweets and dandiya/garba raas dances. Founded in 1620 by a member of Jadeja clan, whose descendants ruled the city until 1947, Rajkot gained economic importance in the early 19th century, under British protectorate. Farmers' and traders' councils were encouraged to grow under British Rule. Later the city plunged into the industrial Age with the first years dominated by casting industries. Even today Rajkot is a wealthy city that ranks the 22nd-fastest-growing city in the world. It's also one of the cleanest cities of India.
Rajkot lies in the middle of Kathiawar peninsula, halfway between Ahmedabad and Porbandar. It's well worth one or two days stop although it's not a monumental city. Rajkot rather appeals to spiritual tastes. As in Ahmedabad, many ashrams, that offers the teachings of yoga and meditative retreat, are located in the city and its surroundings, amidst forested hills and beautiful lakes. Unfortunately these traditions are not apparent to foreign visitors, especially to those in a hurry.
Gujarati is the main language. Hindi is next most popular. A good number of people will have a working knowledge of English too.
Get inMap of Rajkot
Being one of the major cities of Gujarat, Rajkot is well connected to other cities by air and land transport. For tourists, it's usual to either board a flight from Mumbai (for international arrivals) to Rajkot. For others who are already in India, it's advisable to reach Ahmadabad (either by train or by flight), and then take a quick bus ride to Rajkot.
- 22.308870.78231 Rajkot Airport (RAJ IATA). Has several flights to Mumbai everyday (but no flights to Ahmadabad, due to its relative proximity), which in turn is well connected with the rest of the world.
- 22.31182970.8027292 Rajkot Junction. The main railway station. There are several direct trains from all parts of India to Rajkot. Some of them include longer routes trains from Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Jammu, Kochi, Secunderabad, Thiruvananthapuram, Bhopal etc. In common with the rest of India is advisable to book train tickets as early as possible because they are generally not available (ie, in waiting) after the booking slot opens. Booking tickets 2-3 months prior to the journey is recommended. For those who take long distance trains, it is even more advisable.
Rajkot is quite well connected to the entire region of Saurashtra and rest of Gujarat by buses.
If you will be flying out of Ahmedabad, there are some buses that leave from Rajkot and drop you to the Ahmedabad airport. They drop you just outside the airport, so be ready to walk about 10 minutes to get to the entrance, but its paved and many people are walking that way. A lot of private bus companies have a very well established network around the state with comfortable bus options (For e.g. Patel Tours and travels, Eagle travels, Neeta travels, etc..)
As Rajkot lies in the middle of the Saurashtra region, it is very easy to visit many famous places from here, whose relatives distances from Rajkot are small.
Commuting inside the city can be done via BRTS which covers the roads around the city, but the most favorite is using Auto-richshaws (best to negotiate the rate of travel before sitting inside).
- 22.30053670.8017451 Watson Museum, Dhebar Rd, ☏ +91 97241 03824. The Watson Museum was established in 1888 and was named after the British Political Agent of Kathiwad, Colonel John Watson. The Museum exhibits copies of artifacts from Mohenjodaro, sculptures, costumes of the local tribal people.
- 22.30005470.8018042 The Lang Library, Jawahar Road, Lohana Para (Near by Watson Museum), ☏ +91 281 222 4795, +91 281 2232199. The library has an extensive collection of old books and a repository of reference material linked to the colonial era.
- 22.29825670.8020613 Mohandas Gandhi High School (formerly known as Alfred High School), Jawahar Rd, Jubilee Chowk. Where Mahatma Gandhi got his primary education. The buildings were built by the Nawab of Junagadh and took the name of the Duke Alfred of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- 22.29720870.8049854 Kaba Gandhi No Delo, Gheekantha & Dharmendra Rds Crossing. Mahatma Gandhi's childhood residence. It has now been converted in to a memorial called "Gandhi Smriti". The museum displays and consists of photographs, objects and the belongings of Mahatma Gandhi.
- 22.29365470.7907155 Rotary Dolls Museum, Yagnik Road, ☏ +91 281 246 4352. 09:30 – 13:00 & 15:30 – 19:30. Closed Mondays. This unique Museum gives an overview to the culture and traditions of the world at large through a medium of various dolls
- 22.28915470.7960296 Rashtriya Shala. A centre formpatola weavjng founded in 1921 by Mahatma Gandhi a centre of patola weaving.
- 22.30315970.7902947 Race course. Where people head for a stroll in the mornings and at nights. The site of major events in the city. Also, Madhavrao Schindia Cricket Stadium is located in the area
- 22.29327470.7816928 Swaminarayan Temple, Kalawad Road, ☏ +91 281 245 1000. A temple of BAPS, a socio-spiritual Hindu organization with its roots in the Vedas. It was revealed by Bhagwan Swaminarayan (1781-1830) in the late 18th century and established in 1907 by Shastriji Maharaj (1865-1951).
- 22.2897770.7944849 Shri Ramkrishna Ashram, Dr. Yagnik Road, ☏ +91 281-2465200. Has a permanent exhibition showcasing the life of Shri Ramkrishna plus a public library and an Ayurvedic centre
- 22.35300170.76693210 Ishwariya Mahadev, Ishwariya Post Rd. Located on a hilltop in the outskirts of the city. The surrounding area is a traditional picnic spot.
- 22.29743270.80422811 Panchmukhi Hanuman, Garediya Kuva Main Road, ☏ +91 99249 21879. The Temple of Lord Hanuman that is believed to keep the area free of rakshasas (demons). A large number of devotees visit the temple every day to get rid of evil spirits.
- 22.30843870.81762712 Shree Ranchoddas Bapu Ashram, Kuvadva Main Road.
- 22.29416770.81472213 Shree Ramnath Mahadev Temple, Ramnath Para, (Near Aji River).
- 22.271370.849514 Aji Dam (8 km from Rajkot). A beautiful dam site constructed during British Raj.
- 22.232170170.695948415 Nyari Dam (13 km from Rajkot). A beautiful dam site. Very good for weekend stay and bird watching (updated Apr 2019)
- 22.34856470.92441 Krishna Water Park, National Highway 8-B, Kuvadva Village (14 km from the city center), ☏ +91 281 278 4300, +91 281 278 4378. This small amusement park includes a wave pool, a high pendulum slide and a rain discotheque for kids only.
Want to shop? If at all you are a typical shopper who wants to buy clothes, jewellery, watches etc, then you can visit the malls of Rajkot. But if you want to buy the regional specialties, then you may go for the local bazaars
- 22.27997770.7751931 Big Bazaar, Kalayad Road, ☏ +91 281 304 7070.
- 22.27987870.7632132 Crystal Mall, Kalawad Road, ☏ +91 281 256 2319. Monday to Sunday : 10:30 to 22:00. Cinema, department store and restaurant/food court
- 22.29786570.8045133 Dharmendra Road Bazar. Sells sorts of multipurpose goods and accessories,
- 22.29868870.8060714 Bangdi-bazaar. Jewellery and bangles
- Mochi bazaar. for its footwear shops ('Mochi' in Hindi translates to a cobbler) -,
- 22.29760670.8083175 Soni bazaar. All sorts of jewellery ('Soni' is equivalent to a goldsmith in Hindi).
Being the cultural and commerce capital of the Saurashtra district, one can expect to find many unique and delicious foods in Rajkot.
- For breakfast, generally Ganthiya is a very good option. Ganthiyas here are of many types like Fafda (wide thin strips of Gathiya, generally savored with Jalebi, and Sambhara, a juicy salad mix of grated beets,mangoes and spices), Vanela (bite sized pieces of Gathiya), Bhavnagari (Spicy Gathiya) etc. Ganthiya is made from Besan along with some spices and water which is made into a batter then fried in oil. Khaman and Dhokla are also very famous breakfast options. Bhakri (a hard Indian Bread) is also generally taken in breakfast, although it is generally made only in homes and not available with street hawkers.
- Poha, Jalebi, Sweet Samosa, Sweet Kachori etc. You could get them at Kotecha Chowk. At some places you may also get some south Indian varieties like idli, vada etc. (kotecha chowk).
- For something spicy, one can go for Dabeli (bread with spicy potato filling, stuffed with spicy peanuts and served with sauces), Spicy Ghughra (spicy potato filled dumpling), Pav Bhaji, Panipuri, Ragda pattice, Dahi puri and many more fast-food items. These food items are generally sold evening onwards (with hawkers opening usually opening 17:30 onwards).
- Rajkot is also famous for its Kathiawadi Thali, with many good restaurants offering it.
- For the Sweet-toothed, Chikki, Peda are some of the sweets that Rajkot is famous for. There is a special shop famous for Peda named Jai Siya Ram Pendawala at Yagnik Road. The famous shop for Chikki is Jalaram Chikki at Limda Chowk.
- There is one stop destination for your sweets and namkeens. Different items of Rashikbhai Chevdawala is also famous for breakfast. Items like Farali Chevdo, Pauva Chevdo, Jariwali Wafer, etc are delicious. For sweets, there is a good variety in peda and barfis .
- 22.30184770.7976881 Temptations, Kasturba Rd, Opp.Dharam Cinema, ☏ +91 281 247 5010. 11:45-23:00. Family restaurant with mixed cuisine including Italian (lasagne), Chinese and Mexican — all vegetarian and crowded.
- 22.29290170.7915052 Flavours, Dr. Yagnik Road (near Imperial Palace Hotel). Multi-cuisine restaurant (Punjabi/North Indian, Mexican, etc.). Immaculately clean and impeccable service. Busy on weekends
- 22.30229470.7967333 Lords Banquet, Kasturba Rd, ☏ +91 281 244 4486. 07:30-23:30.
- 22.28682570.7733024 Raju Pavbhaji, Saibaba Complex, Kalavad Road. Veg Restaurant
- 22.29164870.7889055 Apple Bite, 4 Plus Building Sardarnagar Main Road, ☏ +91 90333 03145. 10am-11pm. Very popular multicuisine restaurant. (Punjabj, Italian, Mexican, Continental, Chinese). Good ambiance, courteous staff
- 22.29817570.7895846 Sankalp, Race Course Ring Road, Nr. Zilla Panchayat Chowk, ☏ +91 281 244 0800. 11:00 - 23:00. South Indian food
- 22.30391270.7875147 Big Bite the Food Court, Race Course Ring Road, ☏ +91 281 245 8871. 10:00-23:30. Popular Fast Food - Chinese, Continental. Indian dishes include chhole puri, garlic bread, rice pulao
- 22.30530170.7881648 Subway, Shop No. 8 & 9, Race Course Ring Road. 11:00 - 23:00. Fast food, veg & non-veg sandwiches
- 22.28833570.7695849 Michi's Restaurant (University Rd).
- 22.32734770.76896510 Green Fuel, 150 Feet Ring Road, Near Madhapur Chokdi, Krishna Society, Madhapar, ☏ +91 92280 11700. 11:00-23:00. Veg Rest.
- Hotel Upasana.
- 22.28862270.8001411 Hotel Suryakant, Gondal Road, Lodhawad Chowk (Opposite Kathiawar Balashram), ☏ +91 281 246 3146, +91 281 662 7555, +91 281 246 0969. 25 A/C rooms. Satellite TV
- 22.36924870.6896872 Chouki Dhani, Jamnagar Road, Near All India Radio Tower, ☏ +91 281 654 3664. a small ethnic Rajasthani village, 14 km away from Rajkot city /Cottage type. Restaurants
- 22.29305970.8047123 Hotel Everstar, Ashapura Road, ☏ +91 281 222 7757, +91 94277 27774 (Mobile). Budget hotel. A/C Rooms. Free wi-fi
- 22.29482870.8053794 Hotel Aditya, Bhupendra Rd, Opp.Rajshree Cinema, ☏ +91 281 222 0044, +91 281-2229901. Budget hotel. A/C rooms, hot water. Noisy location near Sondi Bazaar
- 22.29610470.7981395 Hotel Evershine, Limbda Chowk, ☏ +91 281 248 1682. Clean, well-equipped rooms at affordable price. Polite staff. Central location at Limda Chowk
- 22.29651370.7986156 Hotel Classique, On the 7th floor of Sudarshan Commercial Complex, Limda Chowk, ☏ +91 281 245 0392. Another cheap option at Limda Chowk. Dining hall on the 2nd floor of Sudarshan Complex
- 22.29620270.7977347 Jayson Hotel (Hotel Honest), Subash Road, Limda Chowk (Opp. TATA Indicom,), ☏ +91 281 248 1600. Various category rooms, cheap and wi fi
- 22.296970.80168 The Galaxy Hotel, Jawahar Road, Panchnath Plot, Sadar, ☏ +91 281 222 2906. Spacious double rooms on 2nd floor of an old building in the crowded Jawahar Road,
- Hotel Krose, Limda Chowk. very nice budget hotel option in rajkot (updated Mar 2019)
- 22.3012270.8008989 The Grand Thakar Hotel, Jawahar Road, Opp. Jubeli Garden, ☏ +91 281 223 0091. A 3 star hotel with 29 rooms. AC, Satellite tv, 24 hour hot water, free wifi. Santushti Restaurant is a multicuisine restaurant.
- 22.29404470.80336710 Hotel Kavery, Kanak Road, Karanpara (Opposite Patel Dharmshala, Karansinhji Road), ☏ +91 281 223 9331.
- 22.28569670.80104911 Hotel The Grand Regency, Dhebar Road, Millpara, Bhakti Nagar (Nr. Mehta Petrol Pump), ☏ +91 281 224 0100. 39 € par night.
- 22.2913370.79871512 Hotel Silver Palace, Dr Yagnik Road Corner, ☏ +91 281 248 0008.
- 22.29696670.79157813 Hotel Rajdoot, Dr Yagnik Road, Near Race Course, ☏ +91 281 246 8991.
- 22.29512270.79092614 Hotel Imperial Palace, Dr Yagnik Road, ☏ +91 281 2480000. Five star hotel centrally located. Upscale room amenities. Swimming pool, salon and message centre., 100/164 € per night.
- 22.27995670.71543915 Seasons Hotel, Kalawad Road. Opp. Drive-in Cinema (12 km from the city centre), ☏ +91 281 711 2233. 70 €/ night.
- 22.23909470.65278716 Heritage Khirasra Palace, Kalawad Road, Khirasra Village (18 km away from the city center), ☏ +91 99130 77077. A heritage hotel housed in the 16th-century Khirasha castle. It's located on a hill overlooking a small water body, 120 € par night.
- The city of Jamnagar is 90 km from Rajkot.
- Mount Girnar and the Gir forest (abode of the Asiatic lions) are about 100–150 km from Rajkot.
- Somnath temple is around 200 km from Rajkot.
- Diu is some 200 km from Rajkot with beautiful beaches and pleasant weather.
- Virpur is around 60 km.
- Dwarka is about 220 km from Rajkot.
- The Kutch District is some 200 km from Rajkot.
- Porbandar: Port region and birth place of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (Mahatma Gandhi)
- Has default banner
- Has mapframe
- Has map markers
- Airport listing
- Has see listing
- Has do listing
- Has buy listing
- Buy listing with no coordinates
- Has eat listing
- Has sleep listing
- Sleep listing with no coordinates
- All destination articles
- Usable cities
- Usable articles
- City articles
- Has Geo parameter
- Pages with maps
- Travellers' pub
- Recent changes
- Community portal
- Maintenance panel
- Interlingual lounge
- What links here
- Related changes
- Upload file
- Special pages
- Permanent link
- Page information
- Wikidata item
- Cite this page
In other projects
In other languagesEdit links
- This travel guide page was last edited at 10:12, on 16 February 2020 by Wikivoyage user DaGizza. Based on work by Wikivoyage users CommonsDelinker, CptViraj, Traveler100, Ibaman, Ikan Kekek and Traveler100bot, Wikivoyage anonymous users 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 and others.