- 1 Understand
- 2 Get in
- 3 Get around
- 4 See
- 5 Do
- 6 Buy
- 7 Eat
- 8 Drink
- 9 Sleep
- 10 Stay safe
- 11 Go next
The central railway station and one of the famous orange trams
Norrköping is located in Östergötland in Sweden. It is Sweden's 8th largest municipality with a population of more than 128 000. Traditionally, it was dominated by the paper and textile industry, giving it the nickname "The Manchester of Sweden".
- 58.58853916.180631 Experience Norrköping, Värmekyrkan, Källvindsgatan 1, ☎ +46 11-15 50 00, e-mail: [email protected]. M–Th 10:00–17:00, F 10:00–15:00, Sa 10:00–14:00. (updated Sep 2017)
- 58.58334816.2339451 Norrköping airport (Kungsängen) with connection to Copenhagen, Helsinki and Munich and also regional flights to Visby
- Stockholm Arlanda Airport is about 200 km to the north. SJ run several direct trains a day to Norrköping, and at other times you can change in Stockholm.
- Stockholm Skavsta airport about 60 km north of Norrköping. Ryanair and other low-cost airlines service this airport. Flygbussarna have bus services running from the airport to Norrköping.
By public transport
- By train to the 58.59637516.1834432 Norrköping Central Station. The SJ X2000 trains between Malmö and Stockholm stop in Norrköping. SJ also run direct trains from Stockholm via Nyköping, from Gävle via Stockholm and Uppsala, and from Linköping. A further regional route runs from Katrineholm (for connections from Göteborg), Västerås, and Sala.
- By bus with Swebus Express
Get around58°35′24″N 16°11′1″E Map of Norrköping
A nice way to get around in Norrköping is with the orange trams. Tickets or cards can be bought onboard, but the price is twice as high than if you buy the ticket or card beforehand in a kiosk, supermarket, or similar. You can even pay by SMS to avoid the 50% surcharge when paying cash on the tram or bus.
Everything listed here in the city is within walking distance of the other listings, as the actual town centre isn't that big.
- 58.5891216.1798811 Arbetets Museum (The museum of work), Laxholmen (On an island in the river). Worth a visit, as is the surrounding Industrilandskapet/Strykjärnet area with a concert hall, a science park, a tourist center, a church, other museums, an art school, some space owned by the university and a lovely waterfall. Free entrance.
- 58.59413716.1844992 Kaktusplanteringen (Cactus park), Drottninggatan 3B, ☎ +46 11-15 00 00. 24 hours daily. An intricate display of various cactus in Karl Johans park (close to the railway station) has over 25,000 cacti. Free entance.
- 58.58304916.1907213 Norrköpings Konstmuseum (Norrköping's art museum), Kristinaplatsen 6. A large collection of 20th century modern art and contemporary works. Free entrance.
- 58.58951116.1802254 Norrköpings stadsmuseum (Norrköping City Museum), Holmbrogränden 2, ☎ +46 11-15 26 20. Tu W F 11:00-17:00; Th 11:00-20:00; Sa Su 11:00-16:00. A museum about the history of Norrköping. Free entance.
- Walking the promenades
- 58.58849116.1884891 Domino, Linden and Spiralen, Drottninggatan 37. Domino, Linden and Spiralen is a gathering of three large shopping centers that lies in the center of Norrköping City. The area consists of many small shops and especially brand shops, so the price may be a little higher than other places, but the variety of items you can find and the nice city scenery should make it worth while.
- 58.61844316.1558092 Ingelsta Handelscentrum, Järngatan 6. One of the largest commercial shopping districts in Sweden. Notable stores include Maxi, Coop Forum, City Gross, Willys, Media Markt, Bahaus, El-Giganten and many food restaurants, small stores and electronic shops. Due to the high concentration of large retail stores you should get a decent price even for otherwise expensive items.
- 58.58872616.1882453 Pressbyrån, Repslagaregatan 5A. A well-stocked magazine store with lots of international and Swedish magazines.
- 58.5900816.1874194 Vaxkupan, Drottninggatan 25. An ambitious record store with new and used records, and postcards.
- 58.59254316.1779171 Restaurang Athena, Kungsgatan 19, ☎ +46 11-18 69 09. A Greek restaurant with a nice and affordable menu. They also serve pizza and salads. Mains are 75-175 kr.
- 58.59103116.1870222 Burgers & Bangers, Drottninggatan 15, ☎ +46 11-10 35 00. Tu-Sa from 16:00; Su from 12:00. Cosy "hipster burger" place. Mains 85-130 kr. (updated Dec 2016)
- 58.59054116.1790223 Fräcka frökens frestelser, Kungsgatan 43, ☎ +46 11-23 88 23. Not a restaurant, but more of a sandwich café that serves salads, sandwiches, bagels and various types of coffee in a trendy environment. It's very close to the university campus and is therefore popular with students.
- 58.59067116.1871634 Härlig Pasta, Drottninggatan 19, ☎ +46 11-12 60 60. Tasty pasta in a nice atmosphere. Mains 75-170 kr. (updated Sep 2017)
- 58.59523516.1766285 Sukiyaki, Kungstorget 2, ☎ +46 11-23 88 22. A traditional Japanese restaurant that has a large variety to their menu. They have a nice indoor setting and also an outdoor area with a great view. Mains are 80-150 kr.
- 58.5935816.1755151 Hugo Nattklubb, Slottsgatan 143. One of the biggest nightclubs in Norrköping and hosts a large indoor space and in summer, outdoor space for people to sit and mingle. The club often bolsters with famous international DJs and artists performing. The clubs most frequent visiting age group are mostly young people between 18 and 25.
- 58.59299716.1864072 The Bishops Arms, Tyska Torget 2, ☎ +46 11-36 41 20. A highly regarded old school pub with a large assortment of beverage, especially beer and whiskey but they also have a cigar bar. They have a fine indoor serving, but in summer they also have a really nice outdoor area by the river. The frequent visitor is typically between 30 to 60.
- 58.58670316.1889463 O'Learys, Drottninggatan 60. An Irish-themed sports pub with a rich decor of old sports pictures and paintings. They often arrange evenings so visitors can reserve tables to watch soccer, hokey or other sports and have a drink at the same time. They bolster a large number of TVs and screens so you won't miss what's going on. People of all ages with an interest for sports often visit this pub.
- 58.58976916.1806664 Världens Bar ("The Bar of the World"), Västgötegatan 15, ☎ +46 11-13 45 10. A multicultural pub/restaurant that has an indoor area shaped as a large corridor with several small sitting spaces and rooms. At day it is a popular dining place and at night a well visited pub often frequented by university students. Mains are 75-120 kr.
- 58.60929516.2721681 STF Vandrarhem Norrköping/Abborreberg, ☎ +46 733854400. Lindö. Bus 116 from Norrköping station, 5 km.
- 58.60058216.175432 Turistgården, Ingelstagatan 31, ☎ +46 11 101160.
- 58.5930416.1864694 Elite Grand Hotel, Tyska Torget 2 (500 m south of Central Station; next to Rådhust tram stop), ☎ +46 11 36 41 00, fax: +46 11-36 41 01, e-mail: [email protected]. Check-in: 14:00. Four-star hotel in a fully modernised building from the early 20th century. Most rooms have a view of either the river or the town hall; available with single bed, double, or two singles. Breakfast and wireless internet included.
Norrköping is considered very safe, but the city has experienced an increase in crime in recent years. However, one shouldn't feel uneasy even if you walk the streets by night. Take normal precausions and avoid places like the bigger parks. On weekends Norrköping often experience the normal festivities of any town and the inner city (Drottningatan and Kungsgatan) may have some drunks and noisy people rumbling around. If you happen to meet a drunk person they most likely want to engage in conversation, just be friendly and say you don't have time or are going someplace and they will most likely back off. Physical confrontations are very rare.
- 30 km north-east of Norrköping you'll find Kolmårdens Djurpark, Sweden's largest zoo with some 500,000 visitors yearly. Its main attraction is the dolphinarium, the only one in Scandinavia, with daily dolphin shows. Another popular feature is the safari park, where visitors drive their own cars among the animals. Entrance to the park is 230 krfor adults or 120 kr for children. The dolphinarium is included in the price, but not the safari park drive. Vildmarkshotellet (The Wilderness Hotel) is a hotel for those wishing to stay near the zoo. In summer another option is Safari Camp Kolmården, where families stay in African-style camp tents near the safari park. Bookings at +46 11 15 71 00 or via email [email protected] The zoo has it name from the large forests in the area.
- Löfstad Palace, South of Norrköping, is a well-preserved home of the last private owner, who died in 1926. Guided tours, a restaurant and a gift shop. Buses run to the palace from Norrköping several times daily.
- Historic town of Söderköping, south of Norrköping.
- City of Linköping with a cathedral and a castle and several museums.
This city travel guide to Norrköping is a usable article. It has information on how to get there and on restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please feel free to improve it by editing the page.
Retrieved from "[en.wikivoyage.org]"
- Has custom banner
- Has map markers
- Has mapframe
- Has routebox
- All destination articles
- Usable cities
- Usable articles
- City articles
- Has Geo parameter
- Pages with maps
- Travellers' pub
- Recent changes
- Community portal
- Maintenance panel
- Interlingual lounge
- What links here
- Related changes
- Upload file
- Special pages
- Permanent link
- Page information
- Wikidata item
- Cite this page
In other projects
In other languagesEdit links
- This travel guide page was last edited at 16:43, on 17 June 2018 by Wikivoyage user WereSpielChequers. Based on work by Wikivoyage users Traveler100bot, DaGizza, MartinJacobson, Wrh2Bot, Ground Zero, LPfi, Traveler100 and Mx. Granger, Wikivoyage anonymous user 18.104.22.168 and others.