- 1 Get in
- 2 See
- 3 Do
- 4 Buy
- 5 Eat
- 6 Drink
- 7 Sleep
- 8 Connect
- 9 Go next
From Howrah Station catch trains heading for Asansol or Kumardubi (KMME). Maithon is 30 km from Asansol, local auto will charge approx ₹300-₹400. From Kumardubi, Maithon is only 9 km, local auto charges ₹100.
By train one can also go from Kolkata via Barakar railway station. Maithon is 16 km from Barakar. Convenient trains from Kolkata are:
- Black Diamond Express/13317 (Departure-06:15; Arrival-10:06)
- Howrah Dhanbad AC Express/12385 (D-08:30; A-11:37)
- Jammu Tawi Express /13151 (D-11:45; A-16:00)
- Shaktipunj /11448 (D-14:35; A-17:56)
- Coalfiled Express/ 12339 (D-17:20; A-20:45)
Doon Express and Howrah-Mumbai Mail via Allahabad also have stoppages at Barakar but around mid-night.
By bus you can reach Asansol, from there go by auto or a hired car (₹500-₹600). There is regular mini bus service between Asansol main city bus stand and Maithon.
From Kolkata by road it is an approximately 250 km drive. NH 19 is world-class, a 4 lane highway with a divider. Earlier, the Panagarh stretch used to have traffic jams, but as of 2017, there is a bypass avoiding Panagarh Bazar.
See23°46′48″N 86°48′36″E Map of Maithon
- 23.777386.8291 Kalyaneswari Temple. 500 years old. About 2 km away
- 23.785286.81192 Maithon Dam. one of the four dams of DVC with a huge water reservoir. The Reservoir has small islands. These islands can be reached by row boats. The most famous island is Sabuj Dwip.
- Panchet Dam. Another dam of DVC. About 30 km away. (updated Jul 2017)
Row boat - a seat rowing boat is ₹300 and additional ₹20-50 tip to the boatman allows you to experience rowing with your own hand. Also you have options to do paddle boating. Or take a hi-speed trip in a speed-boat by paying ₹500.
If you are going from Kolkata by road, on the way back pickup langcha (sweet-meat speciality) from Shaktigarh, approx 20 km after Bardhaman towards Kolkata. NH 19 by passes Bardhaman. If you want to buy other sweet-meat speciality such as mihidana or sitabhog, then follow the old GT Road, which goes through the town and then get back to NH 19 after Bardhaman. Mihidana or sitabhog is also available at Saktigarh, but it is not always as good as in Bardhaman town. The best quality is available in shops around Curzon Gate.
On the Jharkhand end of the Dam you can get a variety of chat, dhokla, golgappa, chana-bhatura etc. On the Bengal end, try the Paneer Pakora & Chicken Pokora from Chittaranjan Debnath's shop near Mazumder Niwas.
You can enjoy thrills of three star dining at Maithon Hotel, Sanjay Chowk or try the chop/ cutlets in area 4.
- 23.7661386.792131 Mirchi Corner, Main Gate, ☏ +91 89866 19139. Casual Indian that will satisfy your hunger but is often very crowded. (updated Jul 2018)
- 23.78257886.8285781 Asha Resorts (Lodging & marriage hall) (Near Kalyaneswari Temple), ☏ +91 341-2520135, +91 9732079996.
- 23.78217886.8265782 Hotel Barsha, ☏ +91 2520036 (Hotel), +91 9832130409.
- 23.791586.82173 Hotel Shantinivas (near maithon dam), ☏ +91 9830217777, ✉ [email protected]. Restaurant, Parking, Conference Hall, Children's play area, Beautiful Rock Gardens, Dense Forest view etc. Double-bedded air-con room: ₹800-1,000, Double-bedded non air-con room: ₹700, Dorm: ₹300 per bed.
- 23.761286.79094 Maithon Hotel and Restaurant, Sanjay Chowk, NH 2, ☏ +91 6540-270042, +91 9204483017.
- 23.791586.81695 Majumdar Nivas of DVC (On an island in Maithon Lake, connected to the mainland by a bridge.). Contact: CPRO, DVC Towers, CIT Housing Complex, VIP Road, Kolkata 700054. Phone:+91 33 2333-2115. Limited food menu.
- 23.753186.76816 Sunny Hotel, GT Road, Egarkunr, Kumardhubi, Distt. Dhanbad, ☏ +91 9801541566.
- 23.794586.82097 Tourist Lodge of West Bengal Tourism, ☏ +91 33 4401-26, fax: +91 (033) 22485168. Phone: 953412523894 Double-bedded room: ₹1000-2000.
- 23.78154786.828538 Hotel Surya Nivas, Maithon Road, Kalyaneswari,, ☏ +91 9641587777. (updated Dec 2017)
- 23.78154786.828539 Hotel Yatri Niwas, Maa Kalyaneswari Temple, Hadla, ☏ +91 97321 48410. (updated Dec 2017)
- Vashudewa Enterprises +91-9905168865
- Baranti - holiday resorts, about 38 km
- Biharinath - holiday resorts, about 50 km
- Panchet Dam / Garh Panchakot
- Parasnath Hills
This city travel guide to Maithon is a usable article. It has information on how to get there and on restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please feel free to improve it by editing the page.
Retrieved from "[en.wikivoyage.org]"
- Has default banner
- Has mapframe
- Has see listing
- Has map markers
- See listing with no coordinates
- Has eat listing
- Has sleep listing
- Has Geo parameter
- North Chotanagpur
- All destination articles
- Usable cities
- Usable articles
- City articles
- Pages with maps
- Travellers' pub
- Recent changes
- Community portal
- Maintenance panel
- Interlingual lounge
- What links here
- Related changes
- Upload file
- Special pages
- Permanent link
- Page information
- Wikidata item
- Cite this page
In other projects
In other languages
- This travel guide page was last edited at 05:00, on 14 September 2019 by Wikivoyage user DaGizza. Based on work by Wikivoyage users Traveler100bot, Wrh2Bot, AndreeBot, Chandan Guha and Ibaman, Wikivoyage anonymous users 2409:4064:882:EED:DDC1:EDB2:CAD0:19A6, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 and 2405:204:418A:21F4:B4A3:CFF4:E83C:9E7A and others.