Searching Headings by KeywordSelect the search type Keyword Authorities (All) from the main search screen to find headings that contain your search terms. Names, titles, name/titles, and subjects (including genres and forms) established by the Library of Congress (and cooperating partners) and used in LC Online Catalog records will be retrieved in a single keyword search. Heading keywords can be entered in any order. Note: Only headings and cross-references -- not all the fields in an authority record -- are searchable by keyword.
Keyword Authorities (All) Search Examples:Heading type . . . Search Examples . . . name congressional budget office
明宣宗 china title "canterbury tales"
bible english standard name/title beethoven sonata piano
shakespeare hamlet subject civil war personal narratives
- Enter your search terms in any order. Results will match all words entered.
- Use quotation marks to identify words you want searched as a phrase (e.g., "solar energy")
- Use a percent sign ( % ) as a single character wildcard, either inside or at the end of a search term (e.g., col%r retrieves color, coler and colur, but not colour)
- Use a question mark ( ? ) as a multiple character wildcard, either inside or at the end of a search term (e.g., ecumen? retrieves ecumenical, ecumenism, etc.)
- Most punctuation marks found at the end of words or phrases are ignored. Retain punctuation found in the middle of words and numbers (e.g., "4-H" or 401(k) plans)
- Special characters are generally converted to their nearest alphabetic equivalent (for example: an Æ digraph to "ae" or a þ thorn to "th"). Retain the following special characters in searches: ampersands (&), plus signs (+), at signs (@), number signs (#), and musical flat and natural signs.
How to View Authorities and References:
Keyword Authorities (All) search results are presented as a finite Headings List of all names, titles, name/titles, and subjects (including genres and forms) in the LC Online Catalog, whether these headings have authority records associated with them or not.
Note: Headings in the LC Online Catalog that end with the legend "[from old catalog]" were assigned before the online cataloging era and may not be associated with a records in Library of Congress Authorities. In addition, the Headings List may display headings from in-process catalog records for which authority records will be made in the near future.
To move forward through the Headings List, select. Roman script entries are listed first, followed by entries in non-Roman scripts. To retrieve authority information, references, and/or notes for a heading, select the icon shown to the left of the heading.
Keyword Authorities (All) Stopwords:
Heading keyword searches do not index the following words or word fragments:a
from fuzzy [reserved]
Please consult the following Help Screens for more detailed information:
- Headings List
- Headings List Types
- Authorized, References, and Scope Notes
- MARC Display
- Labelled Display
Use the browser's [Back] button to exit help and resume searching.
>>Top of Page