I am a philosopher at New York University. Officially I am University Professor of Philosophy and Neural Science and co-director of the Center for Mind, Brain, and Consciousness. I’m also Honorary Professor of Philosophy at the Australian National University and co-director of the PhilPapers Foundation. I am interested in the philosophy of mind (especially consciousness) and the foundations of cognitive science, as well the philosophy of language, metaphysics and epistemology, and many other areas.
This site includes quite a bit of my own work, including all of my articles and information on my books. It also includes various resources I’ve put together over the years, along with a photo gallery and some videos. You can navigate via the menus in the header or the site map. Some newer items are listed in the box below.New papers:
- Is the Hard Problem of Consciousness Universal?
- How can We Solve the Meta-Problem of Consciousness?
- Debunking Arguments for Illusionism about Consciousness
- The Virtual as the Digital
- Spatiotemporal Functionalism v. The Conceivability of Zombies
- Finding Space in a Nonspatial World
- Carnap’s Second Aufbau and David Lewis’s Aufbau
- What is Conceptual Engineering and What Should it Be?
- The Meta-Problem of Consciousness
- The Virtual and the Real
- Shelter in place
Recent events and new(ish) videos:
- Consciousness and the Collapse of the Wave Function ([email protected], March 2020)
- The Nature and Ethics of Consciousness (5-hour audio interview with 80,000 hours, October 2019)
- Zeno Goes to Copenhagen (talk at TSC 2019, with bonus conversation with René Descartes starting around 1:03)
- Conversation with Dan Dennett: Possible Minds and Superintelligence (Pioneerworks, March 2019)
- The Meta-Problem of Consciousness ([email protected], February 2019)
- What is Conceptual Engineering and What Should it Be? (NYU, September 2018)
- Sensual (rationalist/empiricist music video by Dorian Electra and the Electrodes)
- The Virtual and the Real (lecture version; see also midnight version)
- Reverse Debate on Consciousness (debate with Carlo Rovelli)
- Conversation with Tom Stoppard (on The Hard Problem)
- Tucson 1994 talk on the Hard Problem (recently uncovered)