A monsoon scene from Cherukunnu
|District||Malayalam: കണ്ണൂര്Tamil: கண்ணூர்Hindi: कण्णूर )|
|• Body||Panchayat (First Grade)|
|• Total||15.37 km2 (5.93 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,057/km2 (2,740/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||1174 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kasaragode|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kalliasseri|
|Civic agency||Panchayat (First Grade)|
- Culture and Geography
- Major towns and roads
- Major Industries
- Major Attractions
- Malayalam Wiki link ml:ചെറുകുന്ന്
The name Cherukunnu means Little Hill (“cheru-ചെറു”=Little and “kunnu-കുന്ന്”=hill). There are about five very small hills surrounding this place. The name Cherukunnu is believed to have been derived owing to the presence of these Hills. However, as per a local Hindu mythological belief, the "Choru-Kunnu" (heap of cooked rice) which is made just before the daily "Annadhaanam" (free feast) at Annapoorneswari Temple gave the place this name.
During Kolathiri rule, Cherukunnu was under their reign. Later, Tipu Sultan adjoined this area as part of Kingdom of Mysore. The British Raj put this place under Chirakkal Taluk of Malabar District in Madras Presidency. Presently this is a village of Kannur District of Kerala State.
Culture and Geography
Greater part of this village is surrounded by Backwater. The thuruths (small islands) of "Ayiram Thengau" and "Mungam" are places of interest known for scenic beauty. This village shares borders with Kannapuram to the south, Madayi to the north, Mattool to the west, Ezhome and Pattuvam to the east.
Cherukunnu (ചെറുകുന്ന്) is famous for:
- Thavam Roman Catholic church;
- Oliyankara Juma Masjid;
- Annapoorneswari Temple;
- Mission Hospital.
The Thavam Church is a famous Roman Catholic Church of North Malabar. This church is very old which proclamates the presence of Christians in North Malabar since ancient days. This is a heritage place for North Malabar Roman Catholic society. This church is under the Diocese of Kannur. This church is located at Thavam; between Cherukunnu and Pazhayangadi, around 17 km from Kannur, 19 km from Taliparamba and 15 km from Payyannur.
Pazhayangadi is the nearest rail head.
Other Roman Catholic churches of Cherukunnu are at Kattakulam, Paadiyil Ferry and Kavinisseri (Christhukunnu).
Oliyankara Juma Masjid
Oliyankara Juma Masjid (Hazrath Valiyullahi (RA)), a Famous Dargah Shareef of Sahaba-e-Ikhram (Sufi Saints/Auliyas) is an important Mosque of North Malabar. It is believed that the priests in ancient days gave importance to the Hindu Gods at this Mosque. The Mosque is at Pallichal near Cherukunnu town, around 14 km from Kannur, 16 km from Taliparamba and 18 km from Payyannur. This is a location of a famous sufi grave, visited by people of all religions.
Kannapuram is the nearest rail head.
At this Temple, Lord Krishna is collocated with Sree Annapoorneswari. It is believed that Sree Annapoorneswari has visited this shrine which was under the sea. There is a mythological belief that this shrine was elevated by Lord Parashurama. The temple is near Cherukunnu town, around 14 km from Kannur, 16 km from Taliparamba and 18 km from Payyannur. A large chira (swimming pool) also can be spotted near this temple.
Kannapuram is the nearest rail head.
Mission Hospital alias (St. Martin de Porres Hospital) is a very famous hospital of this region. Presently this hospital is equipped with all modern ultra medical facilities and is also a super speciality hospital having 24 hours Casualty and Trauma Care Centre. The Leprosy Department of this hospital provides free of cost treatment to Leprosy patients. This hospital is attached with a Nursing College viz. "Canossian College of Nursing" run by "Canossian Daughters of Charity" Convent Cherukunnu.
- District: Kannur
- Taluk/Tehsil: Kannur
- Block: Taliparamba
- Assembly constituency: Kalliasseri
- Police Station: Kannapuram
- Post Office & PIN : Cherukunnu-670301
- Telephone Exchange: Cherukunnu (0497)
- Panchayat Office Contact : 2860238
- Nearest Railway Stations: South-Kannapuram and north-Pazhayangadi.
The average literacy rate is more than 90%. The important schools of Cherukunnu are:
- Govt. Vocational Higher Secondary School
- Govt. Higher Secondary School
- Govt. Welfare Higher Secondary School
- Govt. Board School
- Othayammadam UP School
- Thavam Devi Vilasam LP School
- Bakkitha Canossa English Medium School
The important Colleges are:
- Canossa College of Nursing
- Co-operative Arts& Science College
- Akshara College
- Society College
- Govt. Commercial Institute
- MES College
Cherukunnu plays a vital role in nourishing the arts and culture of Kannur District, and is home to various Arts & Music Institutions, which are popular in district level
Major towns and roads
- Kathirvaykum Thara
- somesheri temple road
- Kayatteel Road
- Madathilaryakkal Road
- Ayiram Thengu Road
- PM Kunhiraman Nambiar Road
- Ambalappuram-Punnacherry Road
- Mungam-Pallichal Road
- Koovappuram-Kunnanangad Road
- Thavam- Koovappuram Road
- Pallichal-Othaymmadam Road
- Kavinisseri-Chunda Road
- Kattakkulam Road
- Pazhayangadi Road
- Taliparamba Road
- Pappinisseri Road
- Muttil Road
- Ambalappuram Thekkumbadu Road
The major industries are:
- Vegetables and milk marketing
- Paddy and Kaipad Rice Cultivation in Salinehydrmorphic Soil
After re-constituting; Cherukunnu is under Kalliasseri Assembly constituency which is part of Kasaragod (Lok Sabha constituency). Earlier, this place was under Azhikode Assembly constituency which is part of Kannur (Lok Sabha constituency). Presently, the following persons represents this Village on behalf of its people.
- Islands of Ayiram Thengu and Mungam
- Chira at Annapoorneswari Temple
- Scenes -specially of river- from small hills of Padiyil, Kavinisseri and Kunnanangadu.
- The nearest Airports are Calicut at the South, approx. 135 km and Mangalore at the north, approx. 140 km. A new Airport viz. "Kannur International Airport" is under construction at Mattannur (മട്ടന്നൂര്) at an approximate distance of 40 km east.
- Nearest major Railway Station is Kannur and other nearest Railways Stations are Kannapuram and Pazhayangadi.
Important Trains (Stops At)
- Mumbai LTT- Trivandrum Nethravathi Express (Kannapuram)
- Nizamuddin - Ernakulam Mangla Express (Pazhayangadi)
- Chennai - Mangalore West Coast Express (Kannapuram)
- Chennai – Mangalore Mail (Pazhayangadi)
- Gandhidham - Nagercoil Express (Kannapuram)
- Okha - Ernakulam Express (Kannapuram)
- Veraval - Trivandrum Express (Kannapuram)
- 1) All the trains originating from Mangalore/Trivandrum and bound for Trivandrum/Mangalore respectively stop at both Kannapuram and Pazhayangadi Railway Stations.
- 2) All passenger trains including Mangalore-Chennai Egmore Express stops at both stations.
- 3) All the trains runs through this line including New Delhi-Trivandrum Rajdhani Express, stops at Kannur
- From Kannur: Board any bus going to Pazhayangadi
- From Taliparamba : Board any bus going toCherukunnu Thara
- From Payyannur Board any bus going to Kannur via Pazhayangadi
||Madayi||Payyannur 18 km||Ezhome|
|Kannapuram||Kannur 14 km||Taliparamba 16 km|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cherukunnu.|
- "Census of India : Villages with population 5000 & above". Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- "Kannur.gov.in : Villages of Kannur District". Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- [www.censusindia.gov.in]. Missing or empty
- "Kannur District Map : Villages of Kannur". Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Diocese of Kannur : Organisation Structure". Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Aulia-e-hind : List of Daragahs in Kerala". Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Kerala Tourism : Tourist places of Cherukunnu". Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "Temples of Kerala : List of Famous Hindu Temples in Kerala". Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "India9 : Temples in India". Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Healthy Family Happy Family : Human Anatomy Study". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "SMDP Hospital : College of Nursing". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Study Nation : Colleges in India". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "Kannur International Airport : Current Status of Kannur International Airport". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 26 : Gandhidham-Nagercoil". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 26A : Nagercoil-Gandhidham". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 86 : Chennai-Mangalore". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 86A : Mangalore-Chennai". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 26-1 : Monsoon Timing Gandhidham-Nagercoil". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 26-1A : Monsoon Timing Nagercoil-Gandhidham". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 85 : Nagercoil-Mangalore". Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Railway Time Table No 85A : Mangalore-Nagercoil". Retrieved 2010-07-13.