|Hindu temple in Amalapuram|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||AP 5|
Amalapuram is a town, municipality and revenue division in East Godavari district in the state of Andhra Pradesh, it is 60 km from Greater Rajahmundry city . It is the headquarters of Godavari delta named Konaseema, the triangle formed by the waters of Godavari. These lands (Black cotton soil) are highly fertile for growing crops like coconut and paddy. Kakinada and Rajahmundry are the two connecting cites to Amalapuram. It is the Lok Sabha Constituency from where the former Lok Sabha Speaker Late Sri Ganti Mohana Chandra Balayogi was elected. Located in this town are the famous temples of Lord Venkateswara, Lord Subrahmanyeswara and Lord Chandramouliswara. This town is known for its Vedic culture and its development.
Amalapuram is located at  It has an average elevation of 2 meters (9 feet)..
Amalapuram was called as Amrutpuri which later changed to Amlipuri. Some of the famous temples in this place are dedicated to Lord Amaleswara.
This town is also called as Panchalingapuram as it is the seat of five very important Shiva temples, Amaleswara, Sidheswara, Ramalingeswara, Chandramouleeswara and Chennamalleeswara. Amalapuram is the third most developed town in East Godavari district after Rajahmundry and Kakinada. It is hub of Konaseema for education and financial institutes. At present there are approximately 65 schools and colleges; six engineering colleges; and, one medical college in the area.
Notable past and current residents of Amalapuram
- Sir Arthur Cotton
- Sri Bayya Suryanarayana Murthy - Former MP, Journalist, Essayist, Short Story Writer.
- Sri GMC Balayogi (former Lok Sabha Speaker)
- Sri Kala Venkata Rao (former Minister)
- Devisri Prasad - Tollywood music composer and singer
- Harsha Kumar - Member of Parliament
- siva sevala - captain for andhra pradesh ranji cricket team.awarded best batsman from bcci in the year 2011-12.
As of 2011[update] India census, Amalapuram has a population above 1,41,194. Males population is 70,850 while female population is 70,344. Amalapuram has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 80.68% amongst males and 73.54% amongst females are literate. 77,036 people reside in Rural Amalapuram while 64,158 people reside in Urban Amalapuram.
Amalapuram is one of the 42 lok sabha constituencies of Andhra Pradesh. The assembly segments under the constituency are:
- 164-Razole (SC)
- 165-P.Gannavaram (SC)
- 166-Kothapeta and
The other two lok sabha constituencies in the East Godavari district are Rajamundry and Kakinada.
Amalapuram is one of the 294 assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh. The present MLA Sri Pinipe Viswarup is the Minister for Animal Welfare and Husbandry in the cabinet of N. Kiran Kumar Reddy of the Congress Party
List of Elected Members for Assembly
- 1951 - Nadimpalli Ramabhadra Raju
- 1951 - Bojja Appalaswamy
- 1955 - Bojja Appalaswamy and Golkoti Narasimha Murthy
- 1962 - Kudupudi Suryanarayana
- 1967 - Kudupudi Prabhakara Rao
- 1972 - Kudupudi Prabhakara Rao
- 1978 - Palacholla Venkata Sri Rama Rao
- 1983 - Metla Satyanarayana Rao
- 1985 - Kudupudi Prabhakara Rao
- 1989 - Kudupudi Prabhakara Rao
- 1994 - Metla Satyanarayana Rao
- 1999 - Metla Satyanarayana Rao
- 2004 - Kudupudi Chittabbai
- 2009 - Penipe Viswarup - Congress
Amalapuram presently has only road connectivity while the railway project from Kakinada to Narsapuram via Amalapuram is pending since more than a decade. State owned APSRTC connects amalapuram to major destinations like Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Rajamundry, Kakinada, Tirupati and many more towns. Amalapuram bus depot is the major one in Konaseema region.
- Falling Rain Genomics.Amalapuram
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amalapuram.|